We Love Birmingham
The Digbeth Institute was originally built as a methodist congregational chapel at the turn of the 1900s. Designed by Arthur Harrison and officially opened on 16 January 1908 by the wife of the Pastor of Carrs Lane Church, John Henry Jowett, as an institutional church attached to Carr’s Lane Congregational Church. People known to have made speeches at the Digbeth Institute include Neville Chamberlain, Henry Usborne, Florence L. Barclay and Herbert Hensley Henson.
In 1955, it was bought by Birmingham City Council and used as a civic hall. It later became a music venue and has become an essential part of the Birmingham live music and club scene. In the 1990s, it was synonymous with rave music and drum ’n’ bass scene, as the original home of Godskitchen and other leading club brands, Atomic Jam, Uproar, Slinky, Sundissential, Athletico and Ramshackle.
Over the last 30 years our legendary venue has hosted bands such as Pink Floyd, Joni Mitchell, The Human League, Arctic Monkeys and The Cure and more recently has seen some incredible live shows from the likes of Lapsley, Sunsey Sons, Matt Corby, Jamie Woon and PVRIS.