O2 ABC Glasgow
Venue InformationBack to Top
In March 2009, Academy Music Group became the majority stakeholder in O2 ABC Glasgow.
Situated in Sauchiehall Street, the O2 ABC occupies the distinctive Art Deco building and is spread over four floors, incorporating two live music venues – O2 ABC (1,300 capacity) and O2 ABC2 (350 capacity). Originally built in 1875, it became one of the first buildings in Glasgow to be fitted with electricity in 1888 making it the ideal site for city’s first public film showing in May 1896. It later converted to the Hippodrome and became the home for Hengler’s Circus from 1904-1927, with films being shown out of season. The building was largely rebuilt around this time to become Waldorf Palais Dance Hall until November 1929 when it was re-named The Regal, ABC’s flagship cinema in Glasgow. Designed by CJ McNair, the huge auditorium sat 2,359 in stalls and balcony, decorated in autumnal colours, with three arches bays on the splay walls, each with painted landscape scenes. The cinemas changed owners and names numerous times, to Cannon, MGM, and of course the ABC, which eventually closed its doors in 1999. O2 ABC Glasgow is spread over four floors incorporating two live music and club spaces and four bars. The venue launched as a concert venue in June 2005, with live music from Roddy Frame and the Trashcan Sinatras, following an extensive £2m conversion.
Venue DetailsBack to Top
Venue HireBack to Top
O2 Academy and O2 ABC Glasgow are available for a variety of private hire options, with wide ranging capacities and flexible formats. Our venues can be used as exhibition spaces and with a wealth of history and original architectural features; both buildings can also be used as a location for filming or photographic purposes.
Alongside their primary use as concert venues, O2 ABC and O2 Academy Glasgow can also be hired for corporate events, awards ceremonies and conferences, and used for lectures or presentations.